Extension & Community Association Adult and Youth Scholarship
Every cent counts when you are trying to further your goals and enroll in a big university or a community college!
That is why the North Carolina Extension and Community Association, better known as NCECA, offers an Annual Scholarship for youth and adults at the state and county levels. The NCECA State Scholarship is worth $800 and the Orange County ECA Scholarship is worth $200, for a potential total of $1,000.
The purpose of the scholarship is to assist students and adults in obtaining a degree at any North Carolina college, in any field of study, with priority given to Family and Consumer Sciences (Part-time students must carry no less than six (6) hours per semester and full-time students must carry no less than twelve (12) hours per semester.)
These could include but are not limited to:
|Youth Development||Human Nutrition / Culinary Arts||Food Sciences|
|Family Studies||Child Development / Family Relations||Family and Consumer Sciences|
ECA is a non-profit volunteer organization affiliated with N.C. Cooperative Extension that has been active for more than 100 years. Formerly known as the Extension Homemakers or Home Demonstration Clubs, ECA is committed to empowering families and individuals to improve their quality of life.
Every ECA district submits its scholarship candidate to the state NCECA Scholarship Committee which in turn will select a state winner. Even if our county candidate doesn’t win the state scholarship, Orange County’s ECA will award the $200 local scholarship to our selectee.
- All applicants must live in North Carolina and planning to attend a North Carolina accredited college, community college, or technical institute. Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of financial need (25%), scholarship potential (25%), activities and honors (25%), and Extension and Community Association connection (25%). It is not a requirement to have any connection with either ECA, 4-H or N.C. Cooperative Extension, but as noted on the application form, 25% of the weight given in each application relates to any connection you might have with any of these organizations.
- How do you know if you have a connection to N.C. Cooperative Extension? If you or a family member have participated in any of these, you are connected to us in one way or the other:
|4-H or FFA member||Participated @ Central Piedmont Jr. Livestock Show||Child of local farmer/agribusiness people served by Cooperative Extension|
|Senior or Adult who was part of 4-H program||Child of or Adult local farmer/agribusiness served by Cooperative Extension||Family of Extension’s ECA member|
|Participated in 4-H Camp in Orange County||Participating in Juntos Program||Child of participant or Adult that participated in Extension’s FCS or EFNEP program|
|Participated in NC Youth Dairy programs||Shown livestock in local circuits||Participated in Youth Market Turkey Show at NC State Fair|
- Previous applicants and/or recipients may reapply each year that they remain in school.
- Download and complete the application from the link below and submit along with the required documents by Friday, January 31, 2020. Applications can be brought in person before 5:00 p.m., to our office at 306 Revere Rd. Suite-E Hillsborough, NC 27278 or mailed to (if mailed, it should be postmarked by February 1st):
N.C. Cooperative Extension c/o Ivelisse Colón
306 Revere Rd. Suite-E
P.O. Box 8181 Hillsborough, NC 27278
(Please, clearly address your envelope as above)
(If you don’t have enough space in the application for questions 10 and 11, please attach a page addressing those questions.)
- Documents to be included with the application:
- High School or college transcript (if you are or have been in college, only submit your college transcript): High school transcripts— Ask for an official transcript from school in a sealed envelope and submit along the rest of the documents. College transcripts— request an official transcript to be mailed to: N.C. Cooperative Extension c/o Ivelisse Colón306 Revere Rd. Suite-E P.O. Box 8181 Hillsborough, NC 27278(Please indicate in question 13 if mailed by the university or college)
- Impact Statement: Include a short document (a nice paragraph is enough) briefly explaining the value or impact the North Carolina Extension & Community Association, 4-H and/or N.C. Cooperative Extension has had on your life and/or your family’s life.
- Three (3) letters of reference signed by the individuals.
If you are the awardee for any of the scholarships, you will be notified before the Fall semester begins (Verification of enrollment at a North Carolina institution must be received by the NCECA appointed treasurer before a check can be mailed).
For questions, please contact Ivelisse Colón, Family and Consumer Science Agent for North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Orange County Center at 919-245-2055.